One of my daughters challenged me to make a list of 25 things about myself that others may not know.
Here is my list:
1. I’ve lived in LA, KY, PA, NY, NH, OH, MI, MD, VA, and now back to OH.
2. The only states I have not set foot in are California and Alaska (Yes, I’ve been to Hawaii.)
3. I spent three weeks in Nicaragua to see/find out what our politicians were not telling us! Wonderful eye-opening experience….and I found out that no matter how much I learned, there is a LOT I still don’t know.
4. I tried my hand at skydiving….made a few jumps….exhilarating….quit when I married my husband, who wasn’t really crazy about the idea.
5. Camped a LOT in a Teepee growing up. (Hand made by my parents, modeled after the style of the Oglala Sioux. We even stripped pine trees for the poles….nasty work….great memories though, of growing up and camping and seeing the country)
6. Learned to cross-country ski when I was in my 40s. Great exercise and a lot of fun if you like being outside in winter time.
7. Was once a Methodist minister, but left that to become an Orthodox Jew….never looked back. It was the right move for me.
8. Three awesome kids….I’m not exaggerating.
9. Photography is one of my passions.
10. Avid reader: I love good books; not crazy about cheap, dime-a-dozen paperbacks. I like the feel of a hard cover, to get lost in the story, to feel that I’ve read something of substance when I’m done. Religious writings, great novels, subjects that I was not good at in school but wish I knew more about: fractals and physics, math and numbers, etc
11. I like GREEN: by that i mean I have a compost pile, I recycle, I have an awesome Honda Fit that averages 35 mpg, etc. I HAD a Honda Fit. Sold it when I wasn’t using it so much. Now wishing I had held on to it. 😦
12. Love animals; have always had a pet or two.
13. Love to travel. My husband and I are great travelers together: camping in the upper-peninsula of Michigan, travels to Montreal and Vermont in the winter (brrrr), and short trips to see family and friends when we can.
14. Have a phenomenal grandson, Jacob, an awesome granddaughter, Genevieve, who celebrates her birthday on July 4th! Her dad, my son, was a bicentennial baby. Hmmm. . .do I detect a theme?; And finally, our youngest grandchild thus far, Elijah!
15. Sewing is a very relaxing pastime. Have made some nice clothes and accessories. Hope to do more in the future.
16. I played piano quite well at one point in my life. Now when I play it is purely for my own enjoyment…..no one else would enjoy it….i’m too rusty!
17. My favorite job was probably teaching. I miss my students, and the creativity in the classroom.
18. I married a Nuclear Engineer and Medical Physicist. He’s way too smart.
19. I like a good cup of coffee…..no frills, no extras, no bells and whistles….JUST a good cup of coffee….black and strong.
20. Word games are my addiction. I’ve got to give them up. I spend way too much time with them and there is so much other stuff I could be doing.
21.Facebooking is one of the best ways for me to keep up with my family and friends.
22. Cherry Blossom Festival time is my favorite time of year here in the Metro DC area. Y’all come see for yourselves….absolutely breathtaking. Now we are living in the metro-Cleveland, OH area. . . .but we have cherry blossoms here, too!
23. My husband and I like to go out to Ben and Jerry’s for icecream….always a fun date for us.
24. I have an awesome thimble collection that most people have never seen. As often as we move, they are a lot of trouble to unpack and then pack again….one day I’ll find a good way to display them so that I can leave them out…..there are a LOT of them. If you have any interesting thimbles you want to get rid of, see me! 🙂
25. I love to dance, even though it’s been a long time….and to beat a drum (i have one that is thunderous but seldom used because it may scare the neighbors) and play a handmade Cherokee flute, a bowed psaltry…..etc.